Friday 23 June 2017

How to Turn Off Snapchat Maps & Why you should be doing it.



Snapchat is always evolving and developing new ways to keep us entertained and interested in the app. Having Instagram stories now very much a fan favourite with brands and bloggers alike for the ease of viewings and linking to posts and websites, understandably Snapchat seems to be taking a bit of a back seat. And although Snapchat is still very much a 'living' app and is still extremely popular amongst teens and celebs, they are definitely trying to up their game with the app and we can see that through some of their latest updates. Don't get me wrong, I am a massive snapchat fan and although I don't use either Snapchat or Instagram stories as much as I did I am trying to get back into the swing of things - that was until I saw the latest Snapchat update and I have to say it was a pretty massive turn off for me.

In the latest Snapchat update the team have added a 'maps' feature to the ever popular app. Not only can you now see your friends stories / stories of those you follow with ease, but you can also see where they are in the world. Pretty cool, right? That is until you realise that you can zoom into this map incredibly close and can find out exactly what street they're on in the world. Not only do I think this is a breach in privacy but it could be extremely dangerous - especially for the younger snapchat users out there. Honestly, I'm not a fan of the feature at all and with so many of us having our snapchat open for anyone to add us (for business purposes) it can be quite scary that anyone can know your location and know it so specifically. 

To turn this feature off, or 'ghost' yourself as Snapchat call it, just follow the few steps below! 

- Open Snapchat
- Pinch your fingers and swipe out (as if you were enlarging the screen) 
-Tap settings in the top right corner
- Turn on 'Ghost mode'

Ghost mode ensures that your location is not visible on the Snapchat maps and people will not be able to find you! You can also do this by going into Settings, 'Who can...' and 'See my location' - you can change this to Only you, which again, means Ghost Mode. 

I know this isn't my usual kind of post, but when I'm genuinely nervous for people's safety, I just thought I had to share it. With a quick look at my Snapchat Maps I've seen several younger people that I know (I'm talking age 12-15) and they're visible to me to almost the exact location where they live and it's really quite creepy and scary to think that anyone could see that and gather the information. With so many people out there with lesser intentions than the rest of us, I feel like with a platform like this, it's only right to let you know how to hide yourself from these features!

I'd love to know your thoughts on this new feature and if any of you have been concerned at all?

You can follow me on Snapchat by searching 'beky_morris' 




BekyLou, Beauty, Fashion, Fitness and Lifestyle Blog based in the South West and London.
(*this post may contain items gifted to me for PR purposes*)
Share:

4 comments

  1. I can't even tell you how helpful this was. I've been legit panicking ever since the update as I do give away my snap on my blog so a lot of readers and viewers add me and I don't necessarily want everyone knowing where i am! x Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries! I think it's definitely something more people should know about - Snapchat have been so sneaky with the way they've released this and I think it's detrimental to people's safety to have this turned off! x

      Delete
  2. I heard about the new maps update but wasn't quite sure what it was all about. That's terrifying that people are able to pin point your exact location. Thanks for this post!

    http://rues-style.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found it useful lovely! it's horrible to think of who could be looking at our location! x

      Delete

© Beky Lou | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Crafted by pipdig