Sunday 21 February 2016

3 Questions I ask myself when: I'm trying to stay healthy




I seem to go through life in stages of obsession. It's been brought to my attention recently that I'm either going at something 100% or I don't bother at all and after realising that this is probably very true , I've decided to take a look at my life and ask myself some pretty tough questions to try and get some kind of sense of 'normality' back into my routines. One of the main things I struggle with is keeping a healthy lifestyle. I write a lot of posts on how I work out and what I wear whilst I'm working out but I don't think I've ever sat down and properly discussed my thought processes behind what I want to get out of eating healthy and doing exercise. At the end of the day, the end goal is always for me to be happy in my skin and so today's post is all about the '3 questions I ask myself when: I'm trying to stay healthy'.

1 - Why are you really wanting to work out? - this one is usually an easy one for me. I want those 'washboard abs' and the flat stomach that all of the celebrities are flaunting. I want to feel and look slim and most of all I want to be toned and strong.

2 - How are you going to maintain a healthy lifestyle / fitness balance? - This one is usually where I struggle. I mentioned before that I can go through stages of obsession, well, working out can be one of them. When I get into a routine of doing lots of exercise I get bitten by the 'fitness bug' and I can't seem to stop. I put my body through all kinds of exercise hell and exercise multiple times a week until it just can't handle it anymore and then I drop like a tonne of logs and have to stop for a week or two to recuperate. This is the point when I usually then can't be bothered to re-start going to the gym or putting on my exercise DVD and I just give up for a bit. When I finally get the bug again the cycle restarts and a couple of weeks later I find myself in the same state, not bothered and lacking any and all motivation to pick up the weights. To keep myself in a constant 'happy' state of exercising and balancing my healthy lifestyle I need some routine. For me, at the moment I've incorporated a Warrior Fit Camp once a week ( read my post on How To Train Like An Animal here) along with a short running session with my friend Hannah and the possibility to throw in another half hour with my fitness DVD in the week if I feel like it. I think the main aim for keeping my fitness lifestyle in balance is to not put too much pressure on myself to work out every day. For now, two hard-core sessions like these are more than enough and I can slowly start to build it up.

3 - Are you going to ban all unhealthy foods? - Again for me this is another one I've struggled with in the past. I'm not one to go on fad diets or anything like that but I do go through obsessive stages of trying to eat nothing but healthy foods and end up punishing myself if I stray from the 'correct' path. If I cave and have a bar of chocolate I always hate myself for giving in and then I get a little down on myself and can think 'what's the point?'. I then go from one extreme to the other and binge on nothing but Super Noodles and Cadbury's Whole Nut Chocolate for a week or two before coming to my senses again.. I think this time around the answer to a healthy lifestyle is to not beat myself up as much. I'm all about being happy with my lifestyle now and if that means having a bar of chocolate when I feel like it then so be it, after all it's not the end of the world. If I deprive myself of something for long enough there's just going to be a time where I will do nothing but binge on that food and so I think the happy medium is just going with the flow. I'll aim to eat healthy meals and I'll try to not eat too much rubbish all at once but if I want to eat something in particular, I'm not going to stop myself.

I though that these would be the perfect three questions to ask myself to get myself back into the fitness swing of things. One of my main issues is realising where my limits are and also stopping myself from over indulging - will power is always a big one but if you're serious about getting back into fitness and toning up, then ask yourself the questions above and see if it helps you! What main questions do you ask yourself when you're wanting to make a change? Let me know in the comments below, I'd love to see what motivates you!





Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Beky Lou | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Crafted by pipdig