Wednesday 22 April 2015

Beauty | High Street Makeup for Beginners

When I was first dabbling into the world of makeup (yanno, after the dreadful 'Dream Matte Mouse' and liquid eye shadow days) when I first properly hit the high street with my friends to pick out my new makeup staples, I found a couple of 'classic' brands that to this day are my go-to's with low budget makeup purchases. These brands, although they have changed over the years (some for the best), are ones that I will push any newbie towards when they're looking to fill their newly purchased makeup bags. I know most of you loved my recent 'High End Makeup for Beginners' post and so I hope you'll be happy to find a 'High Street Makeup for beginners' post below!


Maybelline Baby Skin Primer | £7.99 | Link

Primer is something that you don't have to buy, however for me, it's the first step in my morning makeup routine as it sets the face for a flawless makeup day and keeps your makeup staying for longer. I personally have some great high-end primer favourites, but when it comes to high-street, Baby Face by Maybelline is the one I go for. Before I purchased this it had been one that I had heard a lot about and read a lot of mixed reviews but I personally quite like it as it reminds me of some of my high-end faves. I love that it's clear and also that it makes my skin feel flawless instantly.

Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer | £4.19 | Link

This was the first concealer that I ever purchased. It was my go-to through my teenage years and through the early makeup days. This has been a coveted fave of most beauty bloggers around and for a good reason, this has such amazing powers! It covers up blemishes and redness so well and it lasts really well throughout the day. I don't quite know what else to say about this product, it's just great and for £4.19  a tube, you can't really go wrong with it.

Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation | £9.99 | Link

I honestly love this foundation. I know that nowadays I'm more of a powder foundation kinda gal, however when I do pick up a liquid beauty, this is one of the faves within my stash. I really think that this Healthy Mix foundation is such a great dupe for Nars Sheer Glow foundation and at a fraction of the price, this definitely has to be the best for a high-street start up kit. It gives such a dewy finish but isn't too oily and is great for any skin type. I've actually stopped purchasing the NARS Sheer Glow foundation in favour of this as it is pretty much the same (in my eyes) and only costs me a third of the NARS price tag. For a starter in the makeup world, Bourjois have got it all with this foundation.

Barry M Brow Kit | £5.99 | Link

You may know that brows are my one of my favourite facial features; I am always making sure that my brows are on point and one way that I do that is with my fave brow products! You'll all know that Benefit have my heart when it comes to brow products, but when I first started out, Barry  M was the star of the show. At a steal of £5.99 this brow kit (which comes with a pair of tweezers and a double ended angled / powder brush just like Benefit's) is a great dupe of Brow Zings. I really love that it comes with the wax and brown powder to set and shape my brows but what really sets it above the rest of the high street kits is the addition of the highlight powder. I love this little extra touch; it's perfect for finishing off a look and making my brows pop! Definitely a recommendation for anyone here. The one thing I would mention is that the brow powder is quite dark within this palette, so as much as it really works for me, I'd make sure it works for you first!


Bourjois Delice De Poudre Bronzer | £7.99 | Link

Now when it comes to bronzing powders, I am a bit partial to the more expensive brands, Benefit and NARS are my favourite, however when it comes to budget beauty, I am a sucker for the Bourjois Delice De Poudre. I absolutely love the colour of this bronzer and although it looks a little orange in the packaging (what bronzer doesn't) it applies really nicely and is great for first-time bronzers. The colour pay off is lovely, yet doesn't come across too strong, which is brilliant for when you're starting out and want a light glow, not to look like you're cheeks have been tango'd!

Zoeva Luxe Colour Blusher | £6.95 | Link

I bought this Zoeva blush a couple of months back when buying a friends birthday present (obviously I just couldn't resist buying one for myself), at £6.95, I thought this would be great for my first Zoeva product. I'd heard a lot about their makeup brushes before and was thouroughly impressed with this blush once I'd tried it. I got a light pink shade (not sure on the name - sorry) but it's absolutely lovely and applies really well. Once again, like the bronzer, this is lovely for a subtle colour without it being too overpowering from the start; it's lovely to build up and stays all day.

Sleek Makeup Precious Metals Highlighting Palette | £9.99 | Link

Sleek is a brand that I love for high street makeup. They've stormed into the market and really impressed over that last year or so and I am in love with this new Precious Metals Highlighting Palette. It contains 4 cream highlights in different shades and one powder and I think that this is the perfect palette for a beginner! Contouring and highlighting can be difficult to get to grips with at first (where do I highlight? What colour is best?) but with this palette, I think you're definitely sorted with the colour range and each shade is really easy to blend to ensure no ghastly mistakes are made.

Barry M Natural Glow 2 Shadow and Primer Palette | £6.49 | Link

I was pleasantly surprised when I first picked this bad boy up; I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to eye shadows and often struggle finding a decent palette that is on the cheaper side. I can never find well pigmented shadows that last as long as the powders with the hefty price tags. However, saying that, this £6.49 (what?!) palette from Barry M has impressed me quite some bit. I really love the colour range within this palette and to my surprise, I've actually found that the shadows are quite well pigmented. They last quite a long time (I wouldn't say all day, but with some primer, it's up there) and it's a really great palette for a neutral smokey eye. The perfect palette for someone getting into their eye makeup!

Rimmel Scandaleyes Mascara | £6.99 | Link

This has been my old go-to mascara since I started wearing makeup. This is my all-time favourite drug store mascara and I don't think I could quite rave about this enough. Scandaleyes gives such a full, volumised look and it feels so light on the eyes. I think you can go quite wrong with this ad apply too much, but for someone starting out and wanting big lashes for minimal effort and minimal money, this is the way to go!


Topshop Lipstick in Nevada | £8 | Link

I don't know if you've seen, but recently I posted about my latest Topshop Beauty haul, Topshop's makeup section has been catching my eye more and more recently. Lips by Topshop are one of my favourites for low budget beauty and Nevada is the best of the bunch as a gorgeous nude lip. They're really creamy and last so long on the lips even without a primer! I'd always recommend Topshop lipsticks and a nude like this is perfect for any start up collection as it's really basic and works with almost all looks.



I really hope that this post is as useful to most of you as my 'High End' makeup for beginners post was - again I've really enjoyed writing this post! I hope this is a much more affordable starters kit for you and that it will sway some of you away from spending too many of your pennies! I know I can spend quite a bit myself, but we all need some budget buys to keep us above the debt line every once and a while!


INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOGLOVIN' 





Share:

6 comments

  1. I have quite a few of these! The Barry M brow palette is a total go-to for me on a daily basis, as the shade is an absolute perfect match to the shade I want! High street makeup is getting so so good nowadays, I definitely buy more there than from high end brands now!

    Milly // Mini Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  2. I surprisingly have never tried any of these products, I really want to try more drugstore brands, they have definitely upped their game when it comes to primers and eyeshadows! xx

    Gemma Louise | Just Little Things

    ReplyDelete
  3. New follower! I just lovvveeeeee your blog :)
    www.wajihaslifediary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tips, I still don't really know what I'm doing what it comes to makeup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Sleek palette is fantastic, plus the Collection Concealer, it's a must! xx

    Rose
    http://www.lepetitrianon.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want the Bourjois chocolate bronzer so badly! I have the Barry M Natural Glow palette, the first one, and it seems perfect for beginners! x

    Jasmine || blogsallbeautyy.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

© Beky Lou | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Crafted by pipdig